2020 Word of the Year

If you're new around here, you probably don't know that this is only my 3rd year doing the whole "word of the year" thing.  I wasn't sure I was going to share mine this year.  Honestly, I'm still not sure I'm really comfortable sharing my word for 2020.  I resisted this word for a awhile, questioning if it was really what I should choose.  I prayed about it, asked God for a different word: "Really, God?  THIS word?  Its just so... cliche."   But it's the word that I kept coming back to, and the word that is resonating with me right now, even if it is cliche.  So after much back and forth, I simply surrendered to what seemed inevitable. And in the interest of sharing and stretching and growing, I've decided to go ahead and share it. My word for 2020: Vision.
 
 
My word for 2019 was Focus.  I really wanted to be intentional about focusing on learning, growing and sharing in my writing.  Having focus as my word for 2019 also helped me when I needed reminders to focus on financial goals, or to really pay attention to what was going on inside my heart at different times of the year.  It helped me to focus on tasks or problems at hand, and not get distracted by new, shiny things.  
 
If I'm truly honest, having Vision as my word after having Focus feels a bit backwards in some ways.  After all, we are exhorted as writers to find our genre, our niche.  So shouldn't I be finding the vision and THEN focusing in?  But, here we are, and while last year was a focus on learning, growing, and sharing, this year is about finding the vision for where various parts of my life need to go.  Work, church, home, writing, making music... all of these are areas that I'm looking to uncover fresh vision for in the coming year.  
 
This year, I'm asking God to give me Vision for what is coming in the next few years.  With my three kiddos edging into adulthood and spreading their wings, things at home will look different for Jon and I.  I hope and pray that I handle these transitions with grace and love.  Our church community is flourishing right now, and keeping that vision of what and who we are called to be as a church is so important.  With my writing, I focused on learning and growing and sharing last year.  That will remain a priority for this year, but with the added idea of seeking a vision for what this writing life should look like for me.  Where is it going?  What are the goals?  What's my "niche"?  How much do I have time for as I try to pursue writing more?  Does it all fit together in the overall vision for my life?
 
So many questions.  Here's to using the rest of 2020 to uncover the answers!  

Did you choose a Word of the Year for 2020?  I'd love to hear what you chose and why!

Comments