{Writing Wednesday: Poetry edition}

Happy Writing Wednesday, dear readers! Every now and then I get the urge to write a little spot of poetry, because as much as I love fiction and sharing about leaving a legacy that matters, poetry holds a not small bit of my heart.

My family and I recently spent some time in Montana, and if you've never been, you really should go. Today's poem is based off a John Steinbeck quote (you'll see it if you read the first word of each line going down), "I'm in love with Montana. For other states, I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana, it is love."

Having grown up in Montana, I've heard, loved, and agreed with this quote nearly my entire life. Our recent visit reminded me of my deep love for my home state, so I hope you enjoy my tribute to the Last, Best Place.

But with Montana, it is love

I’m walking dirt paths
In sun drenched pines
Love like soft needles as I walk the trails
With silky smooth sediment settled beneath.
Montana, under my feet, above my head, calling
For me to stretch my wings under the Big Sky.
Other waters have captured my heart, but these
States of mind have no bearing on the blue mountains
I have traveled,
Have wandered, have known.
Admiration runs deep here for all things wild
Respect for the open country, and the mutual
Recognition of wild to wild, of peace to peace
Even when I wander to the raging sea
Some part of me finds recognition in this
Affection that keeps my heart connected.

Because with Montana, it is love.


This Fall, I'll be launching a monthly newsletter with exclusive content for subscribers.  You'll see some recipes, tradition ideas, reflections, and some short stories/poems. All you have to do is fill out the subscribe info in the sidebar.  I promise not to spam you.

Comments