{Writing Wednesday: Writing Update}

 

Welcome to #writingwednesday!

If you're new around here, Writing Wednesday is a space where I share bits of my writing, my process, and what's currently happening with me and my writing endeavors. Today I'll be sharing where I'm at in the process and where I hope I'm going.

Many of you know that I've been writing a book since November. I'm very excited to share that the manuscript has gone through several edits, and that it's very nearly complete.  A few more tweaks here and there are needed, but overall, it's really coming together.  As far as what's next, I'm beginning to dive into the world of traditional publishing. I've sent query letters to several agents, and most recently, was able to have a meeting with a publisher as a part of the She Speaks conference. It was a wonderful learning experience and the publisher gave me some homework to do as I continue to seek representation for my novel.  It's a humbling, exciting, and sometimes overwhelming process.

There is so much to learn about this process. And even though it's overwhelming at times, I'm really enjoying learning more. If you had told me a year ago that I'd be querying agents right now, I'd never have believed you. I didn't even know where to start. That's where the writing community has been so important. I joined the hope*writers online writing community last September, and it has been a wealth of resources and knowledge. I found my critique partner through hope*writers, and that relationship has been fulfilling and amazing.

Giving more time to my writing and creativity over the last couple of years has taught me a some things:

It's good and right to develop your talents.

I used to view my creative or writing time as selfish or unproductive.  Over the last couple of years, I've learned that I need that time in my life in order to be MORE productive with all the other responsibilities I have in life. When I don't have margins in my schedule to be creative, I literally feel like I am drying up and withering away. When I do have time for creative pursuits, I feel alive and in full bloom.

The more I say, the more I have something to say.

Kind of like that "the more you pour out, the more gets poured in" thing. As I use my words, knowledge, and skills to serve and encourage you, I find almost daily that I am finding new ideas to share with you. I just need time to write it all down!

Even in the middle of chaos, there can be clarity.

Allowing myself time for writing has, over the last couple of years, helped me to hone in on my "why" of writing. My Word of the Year for 2020 was Vision (I know, I know, it's cliche), and a major goal I had this year was to really define my vision for this blog and what underpins nearly all of my writing that I share. My passion, if you will. And my passion is helping YOU. Helping you to curate rhythms, routines, and traditions for a meaningful life to leave a legacy that matters. It's a mouthful, I know, and I promise there's a whole post coming about how this all came about.

 
So, now that my edits are (almost) done, what's next for my writing? Well, lemme tell ya.

First, this Fall, I'll be launching a monthly newsletter with exclusive content for subscribers.  

You'll see some recipes, tradition ideas, reflections, and some short stories/poems. All you have to do is fill out the subscribe info in the sidebar. I promise not to spam you

Next, I'll be continuing to query my current manuscript to agents.

As part of this process, I'd like to have a couple of beta readers take a look at it, so if you're interested in historical Christian fiction and are willing to read and provide constructive feedback, drop me an email or a comment.

I'll also be revisiting some projects I abandoned when I really began working hard on Barb's story, and deciding if I'll be returning to them or if it's time to let them go to work on new things. I'm planning two companion books to my current work, and I'm excited to get started on those. I'm hoping to have a plan ready to go to start on one for NaNoWriMo this year.

Finally, I want to hear from YOU!! 

I want to serve you, and provide content and ideas that won't just fill my own bucket, but will give you practical tips and ideas for those rhythms, routines and traditions in your own life. We will all leave some sort of a legacy, and I want to help you leave a legacy that matters. Drop me a comment and let me know how (if?) you're struggling with this, what type of content you'd like to see, and how I can help you. 

Can't wait to hear from you!
xo, Becca

Comments